Get the Swidget 1.0 widget and many other great free widgets at Widgetbox! Not seeing a widget? (More info) Mrs. D: Homestead Happenings
Name:
Location: DC Metro Area, United States

I adore The Lord. I'm in my 40's. Completely in love with my husband, a mother of 3 girls ages 23, 21 and 18 and one little man that turned 3 in December. I don't own a gun but I believe in your right to own one, if you so choose. I vaccinate but I believe in your right not to, I don't homeschool but believe in your right to educate your child the way you see fit. I don't attend a "church" but I read the Bible everyday. I do not support our current administration and do not feel it is Biblical to "get behind" a man with such unGodly actions. If a child survives an abortion it is nothing short of Gods will that that child live. How ANYONE professing Christianity can support an administration that will use their will to override Gods and kill that child anyway is beyond my understanding. I'm not so convinced that we are in the End Times but I am sure our country is out of control and headed for disaster. You can call me nuts but I'll just call you part of the problem for being uninformed and asleep at the wheel.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Homestead Happenings

Ok, so here are some pics of my garden. We have rocky clay soil and it will be a number of years before it is wonderful dirt but I'm not letting that stop me. I know I could do raised beds but I'm really not sure how big I want the finished beds to be, so, no biggie. It will be fun to see it evolve (OR NOT) over the summer. Please keep in mind I really don't have a clue what in the world I'm doing. If you have a thought or 2 you can share, please do. I will post more when I get a chance. My LG dishwasher (which has never worked right) started leaking and the repairman is here for the second time this week fixing it. The Boy Child was down for his nap until...you know how this goes...child goes down for nap, doorbell rings, phones ring, Boy Child up with little rest and ready to go. I'll be back later with more pictures.
Nasty looking ey? We tilled this up this year and I was going to let it rest this year but...I couldn't. I've been putting compost stuff in there and it was just yelling for some life so I plopped in some squash and cucumber seeds. At the bootom ar the nastrsomething flower that is supposedly good for the land. I planted them here and there throughout the gardens. The little plant(s) in the center of the photo are squash that I started indoors. Can you make out the black dirt where I planted squash seeds this week? Oh come on-try again. Seeee. That stuff that looks like weeds and whatnot is actually compost material (grass clipping and kitchen scraps and some newspaper) that has not broken down completely yet. It doesn't look this bad in person. Stop by if your neighborhood and see for yourself.
Can you see that? Look harder. It's my tomato plant FLOWERING!




I think these are peas. I was so anxious to get stuff in the ground I didn't write down what a lot of it was. Hey-Don't judge me! lol I put a tomato cage in there for them to grow up. I know a lot of people have special contraptions for beans and peas but honestly, I find gardening to be very expensive and time consuming so I'm doing the best I can with what I have.





A blueberry bush that has been flowering a lot, in the middle. All of the breey plants are new this year. I hope to harvest from them next year? I felt I had to get the plants on either side in the ground a week or so ago so I plopped them here. I THINK they are eggplant.



Those 2 little black spots are blackberry bushes. They have grown about a quarter inch in a month. I don't think that's good but I'll let them go and see what happens next year. I put them next to the shed because I read they will grow huge. I think they will be happy here if they live.




Strawberry plant I got this year. I hope to find a spot in the ground for it sometime soon.





Carrots I started indoors in this pot around St. Patricks Day. Pittiful, they are just pittiful. They are short carrots so they should grow but the I expect the tops to stand straight up and be pretty. Are they suppose to stand up or droop like a drunkin fool?
I put my pepper plants in terra cotta pots this year. Well, I didn't grow them last year because we are not big pepper people but the little ones that I babysit (10 & 8) LOVE peppers so I have about 5 growing. This pot has 2 plants but the others are 1 per pot. It feels like murder to pull such a pretty plant up and I'm gonna run out of room to put them all.


I purchased this pot last year for 5 bucks at the Chinese Embasy (WalMart). I'm pretty sure it is $9.99 this year. Glad I was able to get 5, they have been nice for container gardening. Anyway this is one piece of a store bought & washed & sprouted potato. I put about an inch of potting soil in the bottom, then the little sprout and covered it good with more dirt and have been adding potting soil like crazy, sometimes daily. This thing is lovin' life.

Here is the watermellon plant that survived. Originally I planted 3.







This is an under the bed storage container that I have planted 3 kinds of lettuce in.










Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Flam said...

I'm Loving your Garden Pics !! I have an under bed container full of onions.

May 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. D said...

Thank you Mrs. Flam. That means a lot coming from you as I've seen your pictures as well, wow.

I was originally going to put onions in that container, lol. I have another on up under the bed (imagine that). I was thinking this morning that I would drag it out, dust it off and put some onions in there. I just dread pulling that thing out and seeing the smaller size clothing that I'll never fit in again. Oh well, Goodwill is just up the road.

Thanks again.

May 18, 2009 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger butterflygirl said...

Very nice pics! I didn't know potatoes grew like that! I'll have to give it a try!

May 21, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home